Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Messages from Nature

For the third time this month, I have had a close and very interesting encounter with a snake, each in my backyard.  For those who are unaware, there are no poisonous snakes in the wild here in Western Washington, so although my wariness wrought from 30 years of living in Texas kicks in when seeing a snake, I no longer suffer a form of instant heart failure at the sight of one.  Two of the recent encounters have been interesting in that they are very similar to a series I had while living Texas.  Usually snakes prefer to take off when sensing an animal nearby, but this time - as in Texas - the snake stopped, turned, and looked right at me.  I moved, expecting the snake to slither away, but it didn't.  Rather, the snake stayed in place and just swiveled its head to watch me, precisely the same experience I had with a massive (7ft) Texas Rat Snake on Brushy Creek, north of Austin.  Now, I am one to study nature and its ways as an adjunct to my spiritual life.  So when I witness unusual behaviour, I pay attention.  Mindful of Snake's primary message of Transformation, a message that was very clear shortly after the Texas experience, I sat down and considered what I was being shown/told.

I'm at yet another stage of my life in which big changes are occuring. I'm in my early 60s, and there are clear and obvious physical changes happening.  I'm transforming again, this time transitioning into what may be my final phase of life.  I need more sleep suddenly, my bones hurt more, I have less stamina, and I'm not nearly as sharp as I once was.  I'm starting to show my age finally, and it's really strange.  But the thing about the snake message is, I don't think it's transformation of aspects related to my age to which I'm supposed to attend. Rather, I think it's more about something else...some way of thinking that will change my way of being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment